Friday, July 29, 2011

Keeping the Main things the Main things

      When I was growing up, my Dad used to quote this little poem to us.

Tell me friend, what will it matter, say a hundred years from now? If you owned ten thousand acres, or just one old broken plow?
If you bought your suits in Paris, and your shoes in Italy? Or if your clothes were made from patches as the bed quilts used to be?
Whether you lived in a mansion, with the finest broad looms laid? Did you have a private chauffeur, a butler, cook, and maid?
What if you lived in a cottage, with your health gone on the skids? Out of work and out of money, with three dogs, and seven kids?
Sure, on earth it makes a difference what we've got, and who we know. Whether we are poor and hungry, or just rolling in the dough!
If life down here was only , all there was, and that was it! Then is sure would really matter, to all I must admit!
But there's more to life than living, More for those who will believe. More in store laid up in Heaven, if the Saviour we've received.
Whether we are lost forever, or to Jesus here we bow. This is what will make the difference! A hundred years from now!

       I don't know about you, but sometimes, I need to make myself remember what really will matter a hundred years from now. When it comes right down to it, my toddler gets a bigger kick out of me reading her a story than me spending two hours sewing her a pretty dress. My hubby doesn't really care all that much about some little do-dad I spent all afternoon working on, especially if I'm grouchy and tired because of it. And most importantly, my Heavenly Father isn't too terribly worried about my new painted chair as He is about me taking the time to do the things He's asked of me.
       I enjoy my projects immensely, but they aren't what matters most in life. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of that every now and then.
      Thanks for reading and have a happy weekend! =)

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33

2 comments:

  1. amen! thanks for the timely reminder.
    ~mev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder! It's been one of those days, and I certainly needed it!

    -Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete