Friday, December 7, 2012

Sewing Tip - V necks

      Happy Friday! It's the most marvelous happy day here, because.....We got to close on our house today! Whoop whoop! Best Christmas present ever! I'll have loads to tell you about that house a little later, but for right now I have got a quick sewing tip I wanted to share.
      I used to have this irrational fear of sewing a V-neck. For some reason I thought it was super tricky and should be avoided at all costs...only I really actually prefer V-necks to round ones! By looking at my store bought shirts, I realized most of them have a center seam., and that actually would make a V-neck no more tricky than a round one. You can make a v-neck super easily by cutting the front side of your shirt on a raw edge instead of the fold. cut the "V" and then hem it before you sew up the center of the shirt. It's pretty much fool proof, and you can't really see the seam much at all.

      I used this method to make this top, and I used a nice soft sweater fabric. If you want the sleeves to be kind of "cape-ish" like this shirt, don't cut the shoulders straight across. Cut them slanted down so that the arm hole is actually more to the middle of the side of the shirt rather than at the top.


       My V-neck isn't very pronounced because I spend a lot of time doing this....


....and there is nothing more annoying in my world than a shirt that can't stay on when you bending over a million times a day! (By the way, like my paint chip display on the door? I'm not impatient to paint walls or anything!)
      Hope your weekend is wondrous! I think I'll be spending most of mine hanging out at the hardware store! =)

 2 Chronicles 16:9   For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment